Flowers by Terry

‘Anyone But You’ a fun but predictable rom-com

A+recently+released+romantic+comedy+that+features+famous+actors%2C+Sydney+Sweeney+and+Glen+Powell.+
Sony Pictures Releasing
A recently released romantic comedy that features famous actors, Sydney Sweeney and Glen Powell.

The romantic comedy Anyone But You comes off as a little cheesy but still manages to bring a good laugh. 

The film follows a girl named Bea, played by Sydney Sweeney, who meets Ben, played by Glen Powell. They hit it off as love interests, but then misunderstandings cause hatred to rise in between them. 

Their paths end up crossing again, but Bea is newly engaged. Meanwhile, Bea’s sister wants to introduce her new partner, who just so happens to be Ben’s best friend’s sister. After the encounter, Bea and Ben are able to avoid each other until the week of their friend and sister’s wedding. 

As Bea and Ben are struggling to get along, they begin to pretend to be a couple as Bea breaks off her engagement, and the facade eventually turns into a reality. 

Sweeney does an amazing job with her role, as she is able to successfully embody the emotions that Bea, who recently canceled her engagement, feels throughout the film. 

As for Powell, he is the perfect fit for the stereotypical love interest in a romantic comedy, being able to depict Ben’s charming yet egotistical personality. 

On the downside, the film had many overly cheesy moments. Specifically, many scenes involve the parents of the brides, and Bea’s ex-fiance shows up for the week of the wedding. 

Although some parts of the movie could have easily not been included, it still makes for a fun watch. 

For fans of romantic comedies, this movie may not be at the top of the watchlist, but does make for a relatively good film.