Flowers by Terry

The 16 School Days of Christmas: Yes, Gremlins is a Christmas movie

Gremlins, released in 1984, is a twist on the traditional Christmas movie. Photo courtesy of Warner Bros.

Many people don’t consider Gremlins a Christmas movie, but it is perfect for those who prefer a less traditional Christmas.

There are two criteria for a film to be classified as a Christmas movie: It needs to take place around Christmas, and it must include themes of family and togetherness.

The official genre for Gremlins is horror-comedy, but most of the film takes place on Christmas Eve. While that alone does not make it a Christmas movie, it puts this film in the running.

It might be strange to think that a horror movie has themes of togetherness, but Gremlins emphasizes familial and romantic relationships.

In the opening scene, Billy’s father gives him a pre-Christmas gift: a gremlin whom he names Gizmo. With this, his father aims to teach Billy a little responsibility as well as provide him with a friend. 

However, the supernatural pet comes with three rules: do not get him wet, do not expose him to sunlight, and do not feed him after midnight.

Unfortunately for the town, Billy accidentally breaks these rules. Getting Gizmo wet results in him multiplying, and feeding them after midnight transforms the fluffy creatures into mischievous monsters. Usually, monsters are not included in Christmas movies, but what is the holiday season without a little supernatural magic?

Billy and his girlfriend, Kate, spend Christmas Eve night trying to curb the chaos these Gremlins are causing. In turn, the lovers grow closer to one another.

Kate shares the reason why she hates Christmas, and suddenly a goofy movie is something deeper. 

When she was 9 years old, her father slipped and died going down the chimney to surprise her on Christmas Eve. She has hated everything about Christmas ever since. 

This vulnerability and willingness to dislike Christmas is unique when compared to most holiday films. Often, it is considered a flaw to be changed about a main character. But in Gremlins, it is embraced. 

This creates more realism than is seen in many fictional Christmas towns in movies. Not everyone wants to see the red-and-green-branded happiness with few emotional levels. 

While Gremlins doesn’t follow a traditional Christmas movie script, the film offers a different take on the holiday season, still sharing a message of togetherness.