J.A.J.

The 16 School Days of Christmas: Movie tells nativity story with music

The film “Journey to Bethlehem” follows the stories of Mary and Joseph leading to the birth of Jesus. Photo via Sony Pictures

The new movie Journey to Bethlehem is based on the story of Mary’s and Joseph’s lives and the birth of baby Jesus.

The movie starts off with the introduction of Mary, depicting her to be a very religious and inspired girl. Viewers see that she is being forced to marry Joseph, but she does not want that. She wants to be independent and marry for love. 

This scene is when the first of many songs throughout the movie is introduced. It may come as a surprise that this movie is also a musical; however, after some getting used to, the soundtrack is fitting and makes the movie more interesting. 

The movie is also a lot more light-hearted and funny than the audience might expect it to be. Typically, movies about religion are often serious and heavy, but this movie tells the story of the lives of Mary and Joseph and adds a lot of comedic relief to scenes that may not have been as interesting otherwise. 

At first, I was conflicted about this lightheartedness and the fact that the directors seemed to be using humor in a movie about the most important birth of a child in history.

However, as I watched more, I enjoyed this aspect. The directors make light of the slower parts of the story, but when the serious parts are to be presented, they are done so fairly accurately and they also portray the importance of the events.

Another surprise was how strongly the movie focuses on Mary. The actual birth of Jesus does not happen until the end. But this aspect, too, is a good way to educate people about Mary’s life. 

Overall, this movie is for people who want to watch the story of Christmas told in a heartfelt way, focused on the true meaning of the holiday.