GiannaVias

Essential Listening: ‘Isolation’ introduced Kali Uchis

The debut album, Isolation, by Kali Uchi was released in 2018. Photo courtesy of Virgin EMl.

Tired of your Spotify playlists? The Purbalite is here to help with our Essential Listening series. 

Kali Uchis’s debut album, Isolation, establishes her personality as a dreamer and explores the hardships of being in love and in the music industry. 

Uchis is originally from Columbia, and she often incorporates Latin-style melodies. Although Isolation primarily features English lyrics, “Nuestro Planeta” featuring Reykon, tells the points of view of two disconnected lovers with Spanish lyrics.

Uchis also features other artists, such as Steve Lacy, Jorja Smith, Tyler, the Creator, and BIA. 

Uchis creates a storyline throughout the album following the complicated relationship between two individuals. For example, in “Tyrant,” with Jorja Smith, the lyrics describe how love can be intoxicating and completely control an individual’s actions, thoughts, and emotions. 

However, later in the album, the album’s most popular song, “Dead To Me,” revolves around cutting ties with an individual and acting as if they never existed. 

Similarly, in “Your Teeth in My Neck,” Uchis explains how draining the music industry is. Through her lyricism, Uchis reveals how the music industry “sinks its teeth” into artists and works them to the bone. According to Uchis, more often than not, the industry is dicey and selfish. 

Overall, Isolation captivates listeners through its numerous metaphorical lyrics and themes.