Subzero

The 16 School Days of Christmas: Have yourself a merry little Swiftmas

Swift’s album ‘The Taylor Swift Holiday Collection’ is highly underrated. Photo via Republic Records.

Tired of your Spotify playlists? The Purbalite is here to help with our Essential Listening series.

While most music fans know Taylor Swift and her 10 record-breaking albums, not as many know about her EP, The Taylor Swift Holiday Collection.

The EP features six songs: Two are written by Swift and four are covers.

While Swift’s most popular yuletide carol, “Christmas Tree Farm,” is not present, there are many other underappreciated, radio-worthy songs. “Christmas Must be Something More” is a highly underrated holiday track that has lyrics about the holiday being about more than commercial success. 

It wouldn’t be a Taylor Swift album without at least one breakup song. “Christmases When You Were Mine” is the token slow heartbreak track for this record. 

Swift’s cover of “Silent Night” can be heard played on a multitude of holiday radio stations. Listeners enjoy the cover for Swift’s sweet, young voice. 

The Taylor Swift Holiday Collection features Swift’s country accent in her singing, something her new records do not have. Fans of the singer often discuss how they miss the country twang her voice once had. 

Overall, the collection has great variety and different tempos of holiday songs, both fast and slow, that are perfect for Christmas time.