Three Rivers Wildlife Control

What to Binge Watch: `Degrassi: Next Generation’ brought reality to teen TV

Photo via IMBd.com
Degrassi: Next Generation is the best display of teenage struggles and life outside of the classroom in a television series.

Running out of TV shows and movies to stream? The Purbalite is here to help, with another installment of our What to Binge Watch feature.

The Canadian teen drama Degrassi: Next Generation is the best display of teenage struggles and life outside of the classroom in a television series. 

It is the best and most influential out of the franchise, including its precursor and its successor, Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi: Next Class

The show takes place on De Grassi Street at Degrassi Community School, where students ages 14 to 18 go through trials comparable to those of the real world. The show also emulates peak early 2000s fashion trends. 

The series dives head-on into social issues that were rarely discussed in the era. Conversations involving racism, sexuality, sexual assault, substance abuse, and abortion are covered throughout the series, exposing the youth to the seriousness of such issues. 

Viewers will find that the 14 seasons will fly by due to the storylines. Fans also will see the characters grow up as each season progresses, eventually developing an emotional attachment to them. 

Overall, Degrassi: Next Generation is one of the best teen dramas of this era and it definitely deserves a watch.