todd

Sprain’s debut expertly blends noise, post-hardcore

Spotify
Sprain’s newest album, ‘The Lamb as Effigy,’ is the best rock album of 2023.

Sprain’s debut album, The Lamb as Effigy, is an amazing rock album and possibly the best rock album of 2023.

The Lamb as Effigy is a perfect example of noise, post-hardcore, and black metal all being blended up together with amazing vocals from Alex Kent to create one cohesive masterpiece. Sprain uses a perfect mix of guitars, pianos, violins, drums, and synths to make each track highly detailed and hard hitting. 

The intro track, “Man Proposes, God Disposes,” is truly one of the best opening tracks in recent years. It starts with a beautiful orchestral build, and then, about a minute in, the guitars, drums, and aggressive vocals come crashing in. 

Clashing sounds in music similar to this track are typically difficult to accomplish, but the transition from the orchestra-like sound to the crashing aggressive post hardcore noise is perfectly blended to create an amazing track. 

Following the standout opener comes the rest of the equally great album, with amazing follow-up tracks like “Reiterations,” “We Think So Ill of You,” and “God, or Whatever You Call It.”

Each track on The Lamb as Effigy is packed to the brim with gloomy, aggressive, and beautifully executed instrumentals, creating an incredible and refreshing album.