Flowers by Terry

Wallen makes a long night worth it with concert performance

Morgan Wallen performed two nights this week at PNC Park in Pittsburgh. Photo via Wikimedia Commons.

Country singer Morgan Wallen has spent the last two nights in Pittsburgh at PNC Park performing for 40,000 people.

Wallen performed songs from his older album Dangerous and many more from his new album, One Thing At A Time.

Wallen had three openers on the second night: Bailey Zimmerman, Ernest, and Parker McCollum. The openers were enjoyable but somewhat underwhelming. Though their performances once they came on stage were great, it took a while for them to come on. 

The time between opening acts seemed much longer than usual and random. It seemed like nobody knew when anyone was coming on and each of the acts were 30 minutes to an hour apart. 

Despite the hour and a half wait for Wallen after the third opener, Wallen did not fail to excite the crowd immediately while walking out to his song “Broadway Girls.” He followed that by singing one of the songs from his older album If I Know Me called “Up Down.”

Throughout the show, the excitement grew, and then in the middle, he changed the mood and performed a couple of more sad songs. The transition seems difficult to do, but it was not as awkward as fans might have expected, as they went from scream singing to crying along to songs like “Thought You Should Know” and “Cover Me Up.”

He then made another clean transition between moods and brought it back to the hype mood that the concert began with. It was shocking how impressive his vocals were throughout.

The show went quickly and Wallen had little crowd involvement, but nonetheless he made the city of Pittsburgh feel special by changing into a Steelers’ jersey and bringing out rapper Wiz Khalifa. 

Overall, the concert was a lot of waiting, but the performance made up for it.