Advanced Exterior Cleaning

Athletes soar to success

BY LAURA HARPER
Staff Writer

Many great gymnasts have come through Baldwin over the years, but after winning at states in her diamond division, junior Josie Karabinos stands out above the rest.

This year, Karabinos earned the title at states with a 37.25 out of 40 overall score.

“I was really nervous because I was up against good competition,” she said. “My coach just told me to take it slow and steady.”

Because of her victory at states, Karabinos has been named the Purbalite Female Athlete of the Year.

At states, her best events were in the vault and floor routines, both of which she scored a 9.75 out of 10 in.

Karabinos has been doing gymnastics for 11 years, starting when she was only in preschool.

“I could do a perfect cartwheel, and people would ask my mom if I was part of a gymnastics team,” Karabinos said. “They

eventually convinced her to sign me up for one.”

In addition to Baldwin’s team, Karabinos is a member of the Premier Gym and Cheer, and practices on her own time for six

hours daily.

All of her hard work shows, both in her role on the team and in her performance, friend and teammate Ashley Rebel said.

“She’s a good leader and a hard worker,” Rebel said. “She’s very enthusiastic.”

On the team, Karabinos shows leadership and gives advice to her teammates when they may be in need of her assistance.

Junior Cassidy Fischer said that she has seen Karabinos helping others on the team by offering her personal advice and

taking control of the team.

“I’m really proud of her,” Fischer said. “She inspires us to be better gymnasts.”

Karabinos said that her favorite part of gymnastics is working with her team. She says that they are very supportive and

encouraging.

Not everything in gymnastics has been smooth for Karabinos. Throughout the years, she has suffered some injuries.

“Last year, I fractured my back,” she said. “The doctor said that is very common in gymnasts.”

She has also recently suffered a mild concussion, which she is currently recovering from.

Karabinos said a goal she has set for herself would be to win at states again next year.

“I always try to improve upon everything I do,” she said.

Karabinos said that she would like to continue doing gymnastics through college, and has looked into the program at Pitt.

When it comes to inspiration, Karabinos has looked up to Olympic gymnast Shawn Johnson and Premier teammate Ericka

Pribila.

“She’s a really big supporter of me and gives a lot of inspirational tips,” Karabinos said of Pribila.