Advanced Exterior Cleaning

Athletes participate in county Olympics

BY ALLISON PERSTON
Staff Writer

This year’s Special Olympics event was successful to not only the coordinators, but to the volunteers who spent their day cheering their favorite athletes on to victory.

Senior Alex Pantone was one of the volunteers at this year’s event. She said that watching the athletes was a special experience.

“You get to see all of the progress the athletes made and how excited they are to compete,” Pantone said.

Pantone said the best part of Special Olympics to her is the opening ceremonies. She said that it makes all of the time put into the games worth it.

Timothy Laughlin, physical education teacher and Special Olympics coordinator, said the event was very successful this year, and it helps the athletes to improve their skills and compete.

“[Special Olympics] is an event where individuals with disabilities have a chance to show their athletic abilities,” Laughlin said.

Laughlin said the events are modeled after track and field, and there is an event for any level of athlete, making it a unique competition to hold.

“It gives them a venue to show their abilities,” Laughlin said. “Today’s society doesn’t give people with disabilities many opportunities.”

Baldwin had a total of 19 athletes participating.

Laughlin said the athletes did well. Some set goals, but all of them did their personal best, he said.

For some of the athletes, the group of events they participate in act as a precursor to the state competition.

An event as large as Special Olympics requires lots of planning from the coordinating

nating team.

“We prepare for this all year,” Laughlin said. “We start planning in the first few days of school, and October through now it really picks up.”

In the weeks leading up to Special Olympics, the coordinating team meets almost every day.

Laughlin said all the volunteers make the event possible.

“Not a lot of schools have the opportunity to do this,” Laughlin said. “And to have the amount of volunteers that we do is priceless.”

The volunteers who help with Special Olympics and Partner’s PE are dedicated to the cause and enjoy seeing the athletes on the day of the competition, he said.

“You can see everyone’s hard work come together for this moment,” Pantone said.

Laughlin said his favorite part of the games is seeing all of the athletes having fun and trying their hardest.

“One of the best parts is seeing everybody’s smiles,” Laughlin said. “It makes all of the time and energy put into it worth it.”