South Hills Interfaith Movement

Red Cross back after delay

BY VICTORIA SOMMER
Staff Writer

It is sometimes difficult to see beyond the walls of Baldwin High School, but branching out and working with others through community service truly opens the eyes of others, said Bryan Davidson, long-term substitute and new co-sponsor of the Red Cross Club.

After a delayed start, the Red Cross has made its return. The club hosted its first meeting in December.

The first meeting was a great success with a turnout of about 65 students in Davidson’s room. Future meetings will be held in the LGI room for more space.

“At our meetings we encourage everyone’s involvement and the floor will be open to anyone who has suggestions,” co-sponsor Tim Laughlin said.

Laughlin, who also sponsors the Special Olympics Club, hopes that the school’s multiple service clubs, including Special Olympics, can work together to achieve a common goal.

“If we get all of the clubs involved in things, such as a food drive, we will be able to bring in more goods than we would if we were to do this fundraiser individually,” Laughlin said.

The club plans on continuing traditions by helping out with the blood drive, soup kitchens, and Relay for Life. However, there will be new activities, such as teaming with the Special Olympics Club to make Christmas cards for a retirement home and a clothing drive in late January.

In addition to this, “We want to increase the fundraising to the troops,” club President Evan Isaacs said.

Davidson thought of the idea to help out with the organization Operation Once in a Lifetime. The organization helps military families by paying for trips back home or trips to a neutral meeting area for the soldier to reunite with his or her family.

The club also hosted a fundraiser by selling “candy grams” for $1. All proceeds went to a college fund for Brock McCormack, son of physical education teacher George McCormack, who died in November.

Isaacs wanted to take on the role as president after he learned how to organize events from two of his sisters, who were former Red Cross Club presidents.

In addition to Isaacs, the other officers are Vice President Angelina Buechler, Secretary Chrissy Schmitt, and Treasurer Josh Murray.

Since it is Davidson’s first year at Baldwin, he is looking forward to working with the students.