Modern Magnolia

Frozen few take charity plunge

BY BECKY TERLESKI
Staff Writer

Polar pumped: Physical education teacher Timothy Laughlin gets students excited about the Polar Plunge. The Special Olympics club participated in the event on Dec. 14.

Nearly a dozen students and teachers were brave enough to face the icy waters of the Allegheny River in this year’s annual Pittsburgh Polar Plunge, which benefits Special Olympics.

On Dec. 14, 10 students and staff members from Baldwin High School’s Special Olympics Club gathered near Heinz Field to support the club and jump.“We wanted to do a cool project for Special Olympics, and since we had members do the plunge in the past, it seemed like a good idea,” physical education teacher Timothy Laughlin said.

Sophomore Lauren Schugg was among those who have plunged in the past. She participated last year through another organization.

Schugg decided to participate through Special Olympics this year, alongside her best friend Olivia Sinkule, in order to honor their cousins with special needs.

“I thought that if I couldn’t help him directly, I could help him indirectly through the event,” Schugg said.

“I jumped in holding hands with my best friend, Lauren,” freshman Sinkule said.

These club members were not the only ones who jumped in together, as the Special Olympics Club conquered their fear of the cold alongside one another.

Some students jumped merely for the unique experience and a good cause.

“It was kind of scary because your entire body locked up,” sophomore Gabby Loeffler said. “But being able to say that you jumped into the river in winter is great.”

Due to a hand injury sustained a day prior to the event, Laughlin was unable to jump in fully. He broke two fingers in an accident at school.

“I was disappointed that I couldn’t jump in (all the way), but I promised my wife that I’d keep my fingers dry,” Laughlin said.

Still, Laughlin wrapped up his hands in plastic bags and went into the river.

“It’s such a shock when you first jump in, but you enjoy it because you’re doing something for a good cause,” Laughlin said.

Transition coordinator Eric Jankoski agreed about the worthiness of the event.

“I think it’s for a great cause since it raises awareness about Special Olympics, an organization that is near and dear to us both,” Jankoski said, on behalf of himself and Laughlin.

Baldwin’s team goal was to raise $1,000, while the entire event had a goal of $400,000. Both goals were met. Each student participating was required to raise a $50 minimum to participate on the Special Olympics club team.

“Getting the funds was easier than I thought. My family was very supportive and everyone was proud of my decision to participate in the same club that my father did when he was in high school,” Sinkule said.

All proceeds went to Special Olympics of Pennsylvania. Most of the money went to Allegheny County and the rest was dispersed throughout the state.

“My favorite part of the experience was being with such a kind group of people and being able to do something so unique,” Schugg said.