Baldwin students earn recognition in Congressional App Challenge

nitially, the group had a completely different idea for their app, which they scrapped for the animal endeavor.

Photo contributed by Michael Bennett and Shantal Baldensperger

Liam Belan, Multimedia Editor

Several Baldwin High School computer students have been recognized for their work in a local congressman’s app challenge.

Seniors Mike Bennett, Ethan Busch, Ram Timsina, and Dallas Zagrocki placed second in U.S. Rep Mike Doyle’s Congressional App Challenge. They created an app designed to help teach children about animals.

“You can select pictures of animals and learn more about them,” Busch said.

The students learned of the challenge through Shantal Baldensperger’s AP Computer Principles class.

“All I did was send them the link. They made the app themselves,” Baldensperger said. “I’m very proud of them. They did great.”

Initially, the group had a completely different idea for their app, which they scrapped for the animal endeavor.

“We were going to make a daily water reminder to let people know they should drink it,” Bennett said. “Eventually, we had to switch that idea.”

Also earning recognition in the competition was senior James Luttringer, who created a computer game.

“Making my game helped me learn how to design graphics and apps as a whole,” Luttringer said.

“I commend these young coders for dedicating their time and skills to this competition,” Doyle said in a press release. “I also commend the parents and teachers of these students who encouraged them to participate.”