Gormley

Annual Mini-THON brings changes in sixth year

The bulletin board in teacher Rachel Murrmans classroom highlights the theme and fundraising efforts.
Garrett Gusten
The bulletin board in teacher Rachel Murrman’s classroom highlights the theme and fundraising efforts.

The sixth annual Mini-THON on Friday will have a new format and a new student vs. staff volleyball game.

Mini-THON raises money for childhood cancer research and supports families battling childhood cancer. Baldwin is one of dozens of high schools participating in Mini-THON, which is based on Penn State’s THON childhood cancer fundraiser.

While previous Baldwin Mini-THON events ran all night long, this year it will run from 6 p.m. until midnight.

This change was to adapt to students’ needs, English teacher and Mini-THON co-sponsor Leah Younkins said. In the past, students who have sports practice the next morning often would not be able to stay up all night, while some other students were anxious about it or just did not care to do the all-night event, she said.

Students in the Mini-THON elective class have been preparing for the event since the beginning of the year. They have planned events like a new student vs. staff volleyball game, which will kick off the event at 6 p.m. The game is open to the public, but students who are not registered to participate in Mini-THON have to leave afterward.  

Other events include a three-on-three basketball tournament, tug of war, and a DJ dance.

“It is nice to see the students step up for a good cause,” English teacher and Mini-THON co-sponsor Rachel Murrman said. 

Senior Tiana Blount, who is on the executive board for Mini-THON, said students play a huge role in organizing Mini-THON. They reach out to businesses for support, collect donations, host club meetings, fundraise, and run the club’s social media marketing. 

Blount also has a personal link to the issue, which motivates her in continuing to support this cause. 

“I do it because I want to make a difference in other people’s lives, and also because my Aunt Beverly died of cancer,” Blount said.

Younkins said she also has a personal motivation for Mini-THON.

“I have had students who have had childhood cancer who have participated in Mini-THON, so that makes me happy we are able to help,” Younkins said.

Students are still able to sign up for Friday’s event. They must turn in their permission slip and $35 registration fee to Murrman or Younkins.