Baldwin gives blood to save lives

Taylor Donahue and Katie Zemaitis

English teacher Susan Fagnilli and physical education teacher Tim Laughlin know first-hand how important events like the BHS Holiday Blood Drive are.

When in high school, Fagnilli was in a car accident and was in need of a blood transfusion.

“I believe in creating life-long donors,” Fagnilli said.

After injuring his leg when he was younger, Laughlin received a blood donation. This experience made him realize the importance of donating, and he has been a donor since college.

The blood drive started today and continues tomorrow in the hallway near the gym.

Students came throughout the day to donate to the drive, which is one of two the school holds each year.

“I think that it is cool that I can save three lives from donating,” junior Cami Ryan said.

Junior Christina Madden will attempt to donate platelets tomorrow, which are tiny cells in the blood that form clots and stop bleeding.

“This donation will go directly to cancer patients who are receiving treatment,” Madden said.

Fagnilli is proud of the students who are so generous and giving.

Depending upon the amount of blood collected, the school earns scholarship money that can be awarded to students. Last year over $5,000 was raised and awarded to one student, but this year the plan is to divide the money and distribute it to more than one student.

Students under 18 are required to fill out a permission slip to donate. Preparation for donating can be found at the donation center or at www.centralbloodbank.org

Since the holiday season is approaching, Fagnilli encourages students to “give the gift of life.”