k.o.

Activity eligibility rules set

Kelli Rojtas

For the first time, students facing grade troubles may have to sit out clubs and activities.

Beginning this school year, new academic eligibility standards have been put in place to keep students on track. The district policy on eligibility will match state requirements for athletics, so now club members will be held to the same standards as athletes.

If students fail to keep passing grades in at least four full-credit courses, which includes full-year electives, they will be deemed ineligible for extracurricular activities for the following week. Grades will be checked every Friday, and club sponsors and coaches will be notified if a student is not meeting the academic requirements.

This rule could have a big effect on some high-profile events at school. For instance, what would happen if one of the leads in the spring musical were to become ineligible the week of the performances?

“This is something that we have talked about, but if it comes down to it, we will follow the policy,” Principal Kevin O’Toole said.

The district’s policy also goes one step further than the state rules, however. Students will be put on academic probation if they fail to maintain a 2.0 grade point average and passing grades in English, math, social studies, and science (if they have  science class).

While probation does not make students ineligible for activities, the school will take steps to get those students back on track. These steps will be specific to each student and his or her situation, O’Toole said.

These students will be monitored on a weekly basis, and can remain on probation for the remainder of the season for the activity they are participating in, if they continue to fail to meet the requirements. Also, students on probation who do not make sufficient academic progress can be declared ineligible by administration.

Activities Coordinator Christopher Reilsono said these rules were put into place because teachers have so many students that it can become difficult to see if a student is struggling.  Now it will be easier to know if there is a problem.

“It is creating a safety net for students between their teachers, parents, and club sponsors,” Reilsono said.

Last year there was talk of introducing the new policy in March, but “rather than bring in a policy in the middle of the year, we thought we would introduce it at the beginning of the school year, and start everyone off on the same foot,” O’Toole said.