wytiaz

College tuition forces students to plan ahead

BY RACHEL FERRARI
Copy Chief

For seniors, one of the most stressful aspects of going to college is often the heavy price tag that accompanies a traditional college education.

Economic problems and a lack of state funding have greatly contributed to the skyrocketing cost of tuition. Many public colleges say they simply couldn’t afford to not raise prices.

“It’s just reality. Tuition goes up every year, but it really becomes a problem once you get to college and your senior year is so much more expensive,” guidance counselor Kyle DeGregorio said.

Competition between colleges adds to the problem by pushing schools to offer higher and higher amounts of financial aid, causing tuition to rise proportionately.

Even with generous financial aid, the actual cost of attending some schools can be prohibitive. While it seems like universities and colleges distribute massive amounts of financial aid, the sky-high cost of tuition overwhelmes the amount of money given out.

Collectively, Pennsylvania colleges rank third in the nation for highest average student loan debt.

“It forces young people to become proactive in researching careers and knowing what education is needed for each,” DeGregorio said.

For some students, alternates to a four-year degree are worth considering.

“CCAC has a lot of great two-year programs, and technical schools can prepare students for a career that doesn’t require four years of college,” he said.

President Barack Obama has proposed a plan that would offer two years of community college for free, as long as students meet certain financial and academic requirements.

The bill, called the America’s College Promise Act, has not been passed in Congress, but would affect at least nine million students nationwide if it were made into law.

For others, a four-year college education is necessary for their careers, and they have to get through it however possible.

“I knew that unfortunately, wherever I went to school some sort of financial aid would be required, so I picked a school based on academics,” senior Harrison Solenday said. “I’m not ready to take on the amount of debt, but it is necessary for my education.”

DeGregorio said he believes that tuition will continue to rise in the future.

However, he thinks that solutions may come soon, considering that college tuition has recently become a political issue.

“Everybody knows that it’s a problem, but the question is how to fix it, and this next election will be very important in deciding that,” he said.

Solenday agrees that the country should focus on making college affordable.

“College helps students achieve their dreams, but because of the amount of debt students face, those dreams are pushed further away,” Solenday said.