Subzero

Cafeteria cooks up new changes

BY ALLISON STINELLI
Staff Writer

While the after-school snack room might be the highest-profile addition to the cafeteria, there have been other changes to the school lunch program, including new food options at lunch.
The snack room is open in the south cafeteria from 2:30 to 3:30 pm.
It gives students the opportunity to grab a drink or snack so they won’t go hungry during their after school activities.
Cafeteria Manager Judy Bourne said the goal is to provide students with a healthier option for after-school snacks.
“Students won’t have to walk to the gas station to get a snack after school and they can eat healthier foods, like fruits, rather than buying potato chips and a soda,” Bourne said.
The past two years, the cafeteria operated a similar snack stand across from the gym, but it was closed due to low sales.
Meanwhile, a variety of healthier food options are available for lunch.
Joyce Weber, food service director, said one key change involves fresh vegetables. These farm fresh items are now available in the salad bar and to purchase.
“I believe the change to allow students to have unlimited fresh vegetables at the high school is the most important change for our students,” Weber said.
Also new is the Highlander Combo Meal. This option will provide students a healthy school lunch meal without waiting in the long lines to enter the food court. The Highlander Combo Meal Menu features the most popular entrees along with choices for vegetables or fruits and milk.
“These changes will make a difference by empowering students to make personal healthy choices for lunch and increase the speed of service,” Weber said.
Also new are V8 Fusion Smoothies, a new salad bar to create salads, and larger sides of vegetables with the main lunch.
Junior Myranda Bradley said she likes the new changes.
“The new lunch changes have given me more choices than last year. The options are also more suitable to my preferences,” Bradley said.
However, junior Terianne Sciulli said the school lunches are not healthy, no matter whether more vegetables are introduced or not.
“School lunches are filled with fattening items like pizza and chips, and more vegetables won’t change the kids’ opinions who choose unhealthy options,” Sciulli said.
Sciulli said some kids will accept the changes, but students who enjoy unhealthy foods “will still go for the unhealthy options instead of the fruits and vegetables.”