Veronica Sikora

Art fair presents talent

BY KYRA KINZLER
Staff Writer

Working on an art piece for hours is sometimes what students must do to finish projects that they want to be proud of.

“The artwork I was most proud of was my Rachel Carson painting, because I put a lot of time into it and I was happy how it turned out,” senior Dennis Doyle said.

To recognize the talent and hard work of such students, Baldwin hosted in late March its second annual Arts Fair. The Arts Fair celebrated the work of students in the studio arts, ceramics, crafts, and photography classes.

The Arts Fair was created last year by Cheryl Foote, the National Art Honor Society sponsor. While watching students volunteer at Baldwin’s elementary schools, she thought that there should be an event to recognize the students’ artwork at the high school.

“We really wanted to show and share the different pieces of artwork students created, and last year we were finally able to do it,” Foote said.

Family, friends, and community members were able to walk around the north and south atriums to observe the different pieces of art in this year’s fair.

“Around 250 students’ pieces of work were displayed in the fair. The student artists were able to pick which of their pieces would be displayed,” Foote said.

People also could purchase copies of students’ original work, ceramic bowls, candle jars, notecards, and wreaths.

Children were given the opportunity to participate in free crafts and face painting instructed by students. Baldwin students ran painting lessons and art teacher Sarah McGrath taught glass etching.

“I have never been to the Arts Fair before and I just enjoyed seeing the people’s artwork who I did not know had so much talent,” senior Cody McGovern said.

Students worked months to complete their different pieces of artwork.

“My colored pencil project took about two months to finish. But I worked on it in school, so I didn’t work on it for long periods of the day,” junior Katie Winter said.

The variety of art on display allowed people to see the many talents of the high school. Having a variety of different pieces allowed everyone to recognize the students from all grades.

“The Arts Fair was not what I expected. I did not find one painting or piece of work that I didn’t like,” McGovern said.