Modern Magnolia

Simulation to show results of drunk driving

BY NATALIE BROWN
Staff Writer

For many teens, drunk driving accidents are just TV news stories. The issue may become more personal for juniors and seniors on May 4, when they will witness senior class officers and classmates present a DUI crash simulation.
“This event is designed to show the real possibility and consequences of drinking and driving,” senior class co-sponsor Dr. Daniel Harrold said. “It’s not a question of ‘if’ it will happen, but a question of ‘when,’ because even if it is not on our minds or we don’t think it will happen at Baldwin, it happens somewhere every year.”
A “life flight” helicopter and an anbulance were tentatively planned for the simulation.
Students in the simulation are comprised of the senior class officers, their friends, and others.
“The officers and students in the simulation watched an example video, and from the very beginning they knew the severity of the situation. Often students will want to add humor to something, but they are taking their roles in this seriously,” Harrold said.
There are 13 students in the simulation, playing the roles of victims, drunk drivers, and first responders to the crash.
“There are all types of people in the simulation,” Harrold said. “We’re trying to show that there isn’t just one type of person it can happen to; it can happen to anyone.”
Jesse Siefert, the deputy chief of Medical Rescue Team South Authority, has been working with Harrold to plan the event at Baldwin.
“As teenagers and young adults it is so easy to just live for the moment; it is one of the greatest parts of being young and also one of the most dangerous,” Siefert said. “Realize that the decisions you make have consequences.”
Juniors and seniors will be attending the event.
“We all came together to come up with stories for each car and the group,” senior prom chair Stephanie Teahan said. “We want to be able to make the greatest impact on the school.”
Teahan will portray a student who has been drinking in the simulation, and also is in one of the crash cars.
“The simulation is really important to bring to Baldwin because drinking and driving is such a problem, and we want to show how important it is to not get into a car with someone under the influence,” Teahan said. “The consequences aren’t worth it.”
Evan Snyder, a senior class officer, feels the simulation is going to rattle students.
“I think students are going to think it’s fun at first with the intro video, but once we get outside they’re going to be shocked,” Snyder said.
Senior Doug Altavilla agreed on the emotionally intensity of the simulation.
“It puts more meaning into it. Rather than just watching a presentation, you’re watching your friends and classmates hurt and dying in front of you, so emotionally it’s really intense,” Altavilla said.
Senior Nick Yanchik, one of the first responders in the simulation with Altavilla, thinks the event will have a major impact on Baldwin.
“After everyone watches the intro video it becomes real. Students will be able to connect more because it’s their friends,” Yanchik said.
Siefert said that while drunk driving is a widespread problem, he has hopes that the program will help to prevent at least some future accidents.
“The reality is that we will never eliminate drunk or distracted driving, but if we make a difference in a few then it’s all worth it,” Siefert said. “If we can create enough of an impact that when faced with a situation you think first and make a good decision, then the program is a success.”