bonneau

Partners class makes sweet music

BY SAMANTHA STARK
Staff Writer

Through singing, story-telling, playing the video game Rock Band, and playing the piano, the Partners Music class is beginning to catch the attention of students at Baldwin High School.
The class was started by Kris Tranter, the piano and chorus teacher at Baldwin.
He was interested in working with the life skills students, and was inspired by the Partners Physical Education class, run by physical education teacher Tim Laughlin.
With eight regular education students and four life-skills students, Partners Music is in its beginning phases. It is also combined with the first period Piano 1 class.
“Moving forward, I am hoping for the class to expand,” Tranter said.
Last year, in the pilot run, the class was held during the Piano 1 class, but the piano students had their assignments to work on and the life-skills students would be working with Tranter.
“They seemed very intrigued in music and wanted to learn more,” said junior Kayla Brown, who previously took Piano 1.
The life-skills students have learned 12 songs on the piano so far. The music they learn ranges anywhere from cartoon music to Beethoven. They also take part in singing solos, playing Rock Band, storytelling through music, and dancing.
The life-skills students in this class are enjoying all aspects of music, from just playing the drums to learning long notes on the piano, Tranter said.
The students play a huge role in the planning that needs to take place for the class, Tranter said. Every Monday is their plan day for about a fourth of the class. Then, they break into groups and move from the piano lab to the band room.
“I believe this is a big experience for the regular education students to learn to plan and manage situations like this,” Tranter said.
Most of the life-skills students are familiar with sports and physical activities due to Partners PE and Special Olympics.
“This is a new experience for the life-skills students,” said senior Michael Bower, who is currently in the class.
The class is open to any students with basic music knowledge, not just students in band and choir. There is an application process that Tranter and a few other teachers review for entry into the class.
“Partners Music comes with its set of challenges, but it’s fun and in that way, more creative,” Tranter said.