GiannaVias

Club shares art through building, in community

BY NATALIE BROWN
Staff Writer

From a mural for the golf room at the Wallace Building to their mysterious Free Art Movement, the National Art Honor Society has been adding a splash of color to the school year.
The National Art Honor Society, a club for veteran art students in the school, plans and creates projects for the school outside of the art classes. Students are eligible to join NAHS if they are in their second year or higher of an art class, maintain a B grade average, and contribute six hours of service a year. There are 50 members in NAHS.
NAHS students volunteer around the district to promote the club, but also to provide entertainment like face painting at elementary dances and other district events, such as the McAnnulty dance.
“The students in the club always have their eyes and ears open, so when we hear about fun things going on in the area or nationally, we like to try it here,” club sponsor Cheryl Foote said. “Sometimes we’ll have teachers and staff members come and tell us fun ideas, which really helps to keep the club interesting.”
Three members of the club are working on two murals for the golf team at the Wallace Building. Nick Yanchik, Victoria Dedig, and Sarah Welsh were approached by Steve Sinning, the school’s golf coach, to paint the murals.
“Mr. Sinning asked us to paint two famous holes onto the walls at the golf room,” Yanchik said. “We have been working on them for a few weeks, and occasionally other members of NAHS join us.”
NAHS students also painted or sketched images for the Free Art Movement and placed the art around the school for students and staff to find, then keep.
Librarian Brigetta Hannah, who found free art outside of the library, was unsure at first of what it was.
“I found the art outside my door and thought someone had left it. But then I noticed the tag that said ‘yours to take’ and I was so excited,” Hannah said. “I felt special. I love the movement.”
The club took the free art movement outside of the school, placing art in libraries and public social areas to promote the March 21 art fair.
“This is a big project for the group, because we help to plan the event, set up and clean up, and work the fair,” Foote said of the art fair.