three rivers

Clubs join forces for Nook fundraiser

BY JESS DINI
Staff Writer

Baldwin took over the Barnes & Noble near South Hills Village last month, in a fundraising showcase that helped the school buy 10 new Nooks for the library.

The National Honor Society, the Key Club, the Art Honor Society, and the football team were among the organizations that participated. There were dance presentations, face painting and story time for young children, and photos with the Highlander mascot, Morgan Pilarski.

Baldwin received a portion of the sales whenever a customer mentioned Baldwin High School that day. The school also got a portion of sales from online customers who typed in a code representing Baldwin for the following week.

The event raised $1,100.44 for the school. Combined with money raised earlier, the school will be able to buy 10 new Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nooks.

Librarian Brigetta Hannah helped plan the event. She said she was thankful for all of the clubs that participated.

“Everyone helped a lot and it could not have worked without them,” Hannah said. “It truly was a whole school effort and I cannot express my gratitude enough,”

Gifted coordinator Debbie Reynolds, who also helped plan the event, said the new Nooks would supplement devices bought with prize money from the Hometown High Q competition.

“We already have 15 from the Hometown High Q,” Reynolds said. “Now we are aiming to get a class set.”

Senior Shelby Huebner, a member of the National Art Honor Society, did face painting at the event. She said the children of art teacher Cheryl Foote and history teacher Adam Foote were especially cute, since they were so excited about having their faces painted.

Huebner also said the event was good for the school.

“It was a way to help our school’s reputation, and a good way to get the National Art Honor Society’s name out there,” she said.

Junior Erica Koenig dressed up as Wonder Woman and joined other students in costumes who read The Polar Express to a group of children.

“Whenever there was an intense part of the story, they would lean in and pull their parents in,” Koenig said. “It was cute.”

Pilarski, the Highlander mascot, said she saw one little girl who really seemed to be looking up to her because she was a female in the Highlander role.

“It made me want to be a mascot even more,” Pilarski said.

Staff writers Hanah Kail, Spencer Witt, and Jen Yanko contributed to this report.