Flowers by Terry

Snack cart back in business

BY TORI HOCHENDONER
Staff Writer

Despite low sales last year, the after-school snack bar has returned.

Last year Food Services Director Joyce Weber met with students on the Food Advisory Panel, who said that some students are in the building from early in the morning until late in the evening. This led to the creation of the Sports Cart snack bar.

However, sales last year were disappointing and they never reached the break-even mark. Weber hopes students will purchase snacks from the Sports Cart instead of other retail stores.

“It was the positive feedback from students and staff that changed my decision on reopening the Sports Cart this school year,” Weber said.

Weber said that although there was talk about closing the Sports Cart, some students would have been disappointed if they had eliminated the service this year.

“Student feedback is important. We need students to share with us what they want to have offered at the Sports Cart,” Weber said.

Last year, students asked if they could use their accounts to make purchases at the Sports Cart. Now the tech department is working with Weber to provide a kiosk for the Sports Cart that will allow students to buy items from the Sports Cart using their accounts.

Some students applauded the return of the snack bar.

“I like the Sports Cart a lot because it gives students who do not have a lunch a chance to get something to eat before their activities,” senior Dani Wolfson said.

Others say they did not know about it last year.

“I didn’t know about the Sports Cart before, but I like the idea because it’s on school grounds so I don’t have to leave to get something to eat,” junior Emily Jurczyk said.

Also, this year all of the snacks offered at the Sports Cart will have to meet the new Smart Snacks regulations. The food that will be sold with the Smart Snacks regulations are designed to be high in nutritional value.

“Not only is this a healthier option for students versus going to other retail stores, also, purchases made from the Sports Cart helps support the Baldwin-Whitehall School District,” Weber said.

Along with the Sports Cart, students also have the option of buying items from the vending machines located in the cafeteria. Some students who did not make use of the Sports Cart in the previous year think the vending machines are a good idea.

“Even though I pack my lunch I would consider getting something from the vending machines because it benefits the school,” junior Rachel Stock said.