Gormley

New panel gives students a voice

BY LAURA HARPER
Staff Writer

It isn’t uncommon for students to say, “If I ran this school…” A new committee being put together by Principal Walter Graves won’t put kids in charge, but it will give them more of a say.

Graves is going to implement a Principal Liaison Committee during all lunch periods beginning in October.

“It’s a way for students to have a voice throughout the school,” Graves said. “It will also give me an opportunity to hear what the students have to say.”

Much like the Food Advisory Panel started last year by Food Service Director Joyce Weber, the Principal Advisory Committee will be open to anyone who wants to give their opinion on or suggest changes at school.

Graves had a similar Principal Advisory Committee at his old school, South Western in New York, and said that it worked out well.

“We discussed safety and made a few minor changes to safety procedures throughout the school,” Graves said.

The Principal Advisory Committee will be an open table in the cafeterias. Students can come and go as they want, or not participate at all.

The purpose of the committee is to gather student opinions on the school and its policies and procedures. Students can suggest their own changes, or simply get an explanation as to why a certain policy or procedure was put in place.

“This way, students can have easy access to the principal,” Graves said. “I want them to know that I’m here for them.”

Students had varying opinions of the idea.

Sophomore MaryLee Springel says she has mixed emotions regarding the committee.

“It’s good that we have a chance to voice our opinions, but I’m afraid that our opinions won’t matter,” Springel said.

Student council member senior Pam Gonzales sees more positive than negative outcomes from the implementation of the Principal Advisory Committee.

Gonzales says that this committee will provide the perfect opportunity for the principal to hear how students feel about the different decisions being made throughout the school.

“Some students disagree with the changes he has made, and this may open his eyes to that,” Gonzales said.

Graves said he enjoys interacting with the students, and is excited to hear what each student has to offer to the committee. He believes that they will have many great ideas to bring to the table.

“This is our school, and everyone has something to contribute to it,” Graves said.