South Hills Interfaith Movement

After setting lacrosse scoring record, Very shooting more next year

Junior lacrosse player Aliza Very hopes to hit 100 goals next year. Photo via Molly Gorman.

After watching a college lacrosse game, junior Aliza Very got hooked on the sport. 

“I started playing lacrosse because I watched a game and immediately thought I would enjoy playing this sport, which I really did. It was very competitive and I have always loved being competitive in a sport.”

The team dynamic drew her in as well.

“The way the girls supported each other, it was really encouraging and I wanted to be a part of that,” Very said.

Very has come a long way since her start in the sport in sixth grade. During her Baldwin career, she has become known for her scoring ability.

On Monday night, Very scored six goals for the Highlanders and set a new all-time scoring record of 76 goals, breaking the previous record of 74.

“It feels very rewarding because I feel like I have worked really hard to get that record. It’s very relieving and I feel very accomplished,” Very said.

Very hopes to reach 100 goals during her senior year to finish her time at Baldwin. 

She gets inspiration from both family and teammates.

“My dad is really encouraging and he is always helping me get better in the sport and work on myself,” Very said. “A lot of my teammates are always pushing me to be a better player and always holding me accountable, which I see really helps me grow as an athlete.”

Very’s qualities that help Baldwin’s team are her speed and how she moves with and without the ball, said her teammate, sophomore Lexie Iwaniuk. Very is also a leader on the team.

“At halftimes or pauses in our games, she always gives the team pep talks to make sure everyone is motivated,” Iwaniuk said. 

Teammate junior Alexa Sherman agreed.

“Aliza is very encouraging to her teammates, especially me. She’s always pushing people to be the best version of themselves on and off the field,” Sherman said.

Sherman also noted Very’s determination and hard work.

“Aliza is always practicing to get better at the game. She is very hard-working and dedicated,” she said. 

As for this season, overall the girls lacrosse team has seen a lot of improvement, Very said. 

“We have definitely improved from last year. Obviously we have our ups and downs, but this year there were definitely more ups and we all played together as a team,” she said.

After high school, Very plans to continue her lacrosse career at the University of Mount Union. 

Her plans for collegiate lacrosse are one of her motivations to compete well now. 

“Since I am playing in college, I really want to get up to that level to be able to compete with the college girls,” Very said. “Making sure I’m ready for every game to the best of my ability and prepared is what keeps me going.”