flexible recovery

Pop Up Shop to offer free prom dresses for those in need

The BWSD Prom Shop will occur from 4:30 to 6 p.m. in the community room at the Whitehall Public Library.

On Wednesday, the BWSD Pop Up Shop is holding its annual Prom Shop, where students in need can pick out a free prom dress.

The event will occur from 4:30 to 6 p.m. in the community room at the Whitehall Public Library.

Students do not need to pay for the dresses, but they will need to provide a valid student ID to receive one. 

Barbara Stock, a paraprofessional at Whitehall Elementary School, is the main organizer of the event this year. She said the shop is very important to her. 

“The Pop Up Shop … is a way to serve the community and our district, giving back because we feel blessed. We want to help connect people in need with items that are donated from the community,” Stock said.

Stock said that her family and other community members have all banded together to help her make this event as possible.

“The other staff members helping me are my daughter Rachel Stock, a part-time gym teacher at McAnnulty Elementary School, and my daughter Leah Stock, a science and math teacher at Baldwin Middle School,” Barbara Stock said.

“Dr. (Kara) Eckert and Ms. (Alison) Misho have also been instrumental in getting us started and connecting us. Paula Kelly at the Whitehall Library has also been a huge help,” Stock said. “The girls and I also recruited my other two daughters, husband, and my mom, who is visiting from Texas, to help tomorrow,” Stock said.

This year, the Pop Up Shop will have about 100 dresses for students to choose from and even a handful of suits.

“Hopefully we can help students find the perfect outfit for prom and make their dreams come true,” Stock said.

The next Pop Up Shop will be themed “Summer Fun” and include items like summer clothes, chalk, books, and more summer-themed goods.