Wow Eyebrow Threading

Bucs off to fast start, but fans should be cautious

While+the+Pittsburgh+Pirates+are+off+the+hottest+start+they+have+had+since+1983%2C+fans+should+be+cautious+of+optimism+due+to+recent+history.+Image+via+MLB.com.+
While the Pittsburgh Pirates are off the hottest start they have had since 1983, fans should be cautious of optimism due to recent history. Image via MLB.com.

The Pittsburgh Pirates have started the new season on a 5-0 run, but Pirates fans should not get too excited.

The first series that the Pirates played consists of four games against the Miami Marlins, and then they played against the Washington Nationals on Monday night. Not only did they win all of those games, they scored six or more runs in each game.

The bats have been hot as guys like Ke’Bryan Hayes, Bryan Reynolds, and Connor Joe are getting on base and Oneil Cruz is looking like he will have a comeback season. 

The pitching is also looking very solid, as new starters Martin Perez and Marco Gonzales had good first starts. Pirates ace Mitch Keller did struggle in his first start as he gave up seven hits and four earned runs. Bailey Falter also disappointed in his first start as he gave up six runs in only four innings, five of those coming in the first inning.

Keller not doing well is a bit concerning but it is only one start. Falter’s struggle, though, was a little expected. Falter was not good with the Phillies last year and will probably produce the same results. If he does not do well, the Pirates will not be in too much trouble as there are prospects who can come up, like Paul Skenes.

Skenes was the Pirates’ first overall pick last year and is projected to be in the majors this year. 

He was not amazing last year, as he gave up four earned runs in 6.2 total innings throughout three levels in the minor leagues last year. Skenes this year is starting with the Indianapolis Indians, the Triple A affiliate of the Pirates, and had his first start last week. He went perfect through three innings and had five strikeouts along with it. If Falter continues to struggle, Skenes can have a spot in the starting rotation in no time. 

Injuries also hurt the Pirates bullpen as they won’t have Colin Holderman and Carmen Mlodzinski for the start of the season, and they won’t have Dauri Moreta for the rest of the year and maybe even next year. Spring training standouts Ryder Ryan, Hunter Stratton, and Roansy Contreras took their spots and even though they are looking good, it probably won’t stay that way.

Young pitcher Jared Jones was also a standout in spring training. He ended with a 0.00 ERA in spring training and filled a spot in the rotation. He shined in his debut as he went 5.2 innings with 10 strikeouts.

But the Pirates are starting the season 5-0 does not mean that they are going to be a World Series team. The Pirates did almost the same thing last year as they started off the season 20-8 – and they ended up finishing the season 76-86.

Most likely, the Pirates will not be as bad as last season, but they will not be amazing.