Precision Body

Steelers making big moves this off-season

With+the+trading+of+Kenny+Pickett+and+departure+of+Mason+Rudolph%2C+the+Steelers+found+their+next+backup+QB+with+the+addition+of+former+Chicago+Bears+QB+Justin+Fields.+Photo+courtesy+of+the+Pittsburgh+Steelers.++
With the trading of Kenny Pickett and departure of Mason Rudolph, the Steelers found their next backup QB with the addition of former Chicago Bears QB Justin Fields. Photo courtesy of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The Pittsburgh Steelers made big moves on both offense and defense on Tuesday.

The Steelers traded wide receiver Dionte Johnson, who has been on the team since he was drafted in 2019, to the Carolina Panthers. In return, the Steelers got cornerback Donte Jackson and a pick swap. The Steelers get a sixth-round pick, while the Panthers get a seventh-round pick.

There had been rumors about the Steelers trading Johnson, but it still came as a shock when the deal was announced.

After releasing cornerback Patrick Peterson, there was a need for another cornerback to pair with cornerback Joey Porter Jr. 

Jackson will be a good addition for the depth of the position, but he isn’t necessarily a great second cornerback for the depth chart. He has had some good years, but his stats have gotten slightly worse every year since his rookie year.

This move allows the Steelers to look at wide receivers and cornerbacks in not only free agency but also in the draft, which is loaded in those positions.

Meanwhile, the Steelers are expected to sign star linebacker Patrick Queen in free agency for $41 million over three years.

The middle linebacker was definitely a position of need, and the Steelers nailed it. Queen was a second-team All-Pro and a Pro Bowl linebacker for the Ravens last season.

He should make the defense more dynamic as he teams up with other Steelers stars like T.J. Watt, Minkah Fitzpatrick, and Cam Heyward.

The ex-Raven will now play against his team two times a year.

The signing is expected to become official at 4 p.m. today.