GiannaVias

Signing Wilson will be a huge move for Steelers

Star quarterback Russell Wilson has signed a $1.2 million deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Russell Wilson by Larry Maurer is licensed under CC BY 2.0 DEED.

The Pittsburgh Steelers, having gone through quarterback struggles in recent years, will be signing star quarterback Russell Wilson.

This will be a great move for the Steelers, not only for their success in the upcoming season, but their success in free agency and trades as well.

Wilson has a great history, being one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL when he was on the Seahawks in his prime. Now that he is older and had a lack of success in Denver, Wilson has been doubted by much of the NFL community.

Wilson played two seasons with the Broncos. In both of these seasons, the Broncos failed to make the playoffs. But this past season, Wilson showed that he is still the quarterback that he used to be, passing for over 3,000 yards and throwing 26 touchdowns with only eight interceptions.

Last year’s Steelers quarterbacks – Kenny Pickett, Mason Rudolph, and Mitch Trubisky – combined threw 13 touchdown passes last year. So Wilson threw 13 more touchdowns than all three of them combined.

And the signing does not hurt the Steelers’ cap space at all. The Steelers will sign Wilson to only a one-year, $1.2 million dollar deal, with the Broncos still paying him $37.8 million.

This signing leaves the Steelers plenty of money for free agency, as star quarterbacks in the NFL are usually demanding much more money than just $1.2 million. But this is a sign to the Steelers that Wilson does not care about the money the Steelers are giving him – he wants to win.

While he was on the Broncos, he did have an offense with many weapons, especially Jerry Jeudy and Courtland Sutton. But when the offense was not on the field, the defense did not have Wilson’s back at all.

The Steelers will give Wilson more weapons on offense in wide receivers George Pickens, Dionte Johnson, Calvin Austin, as well as running backs Najee Harris and Jaylen Warren. He will also have a very strong defense behind him, led by TJ Watt, Minkah Fitzpatrick, and Cam Heyward.

Wilson has a large amount of playoff experience, and he can see the field as good as any other quarterback in the league. He can still get out of the pocket and throw on the run, which will all benefit the Steelers throughout the season.

It would not be surprising if the signing of Wilson could help the Steelers make a run in the playoffs, and maybe even make them a Super Bowl contender.