JRMVideoProduction

Strong basketball season draws to a close with state playoff loss

Sophomore Max Marzina crosses the court prior to the game.

The Baldwin boys basketball team lost 61-45 to Erie McDowell in the first round of state playoffs on Saturday, ending a big season for the Highlanders.

Freshman Evan Golvash praised senior Nate Richards and junior Nate Westling for their performance during the game. 

“Nate Richards scored well and got open shots for other teammates. Nate Westling played well too. He made good shots and played well on defense,” Golvash said.

But Golvash noted the weaknesses of his team’s performance during the match.

“We didn’t play our best. Their offense got past our defense a lot. They scored a lot and we couldn’t really guard them. They made good shots,” Golvash said.

Sophomore Max Marzina was underwhelmed by the team’s performance during states.

“We came out strong … but we slowed down as it went on,” Marzina said.

Overall, though, Marzina said he is proud of the team’s accomplishments throughout the season. The Highlanders made the WPIAL Championship game for the first time in 39 years, hosted the first playoff game in school history, and won the first playoff game in two decades.

“We made school history three times this year. We have one of the best records the basketball team has ever had,” Marzina said.

Looking back on the season, Golvash also said he is proud of his team.

“We had a great season. We made history. Overall, we had 18 wins,” Golvash said. “We made it to the WPIAL championship. It feels great to get that far knowing we haven’t made it there in so many years, especially because this is only my freshman year.”