J.A.J.

Boys basketball looks to regroup for states after WPIAL finals loss

The Baldwin Boys basketball team line up to receive their silver WIPIAL medals.

After a tough loss against Upper Saint Clair in the WPIAL Championship on Saturday, Baldwin boys basketball players are shifting their attention to the first round of the state playoffs this weekend.

Baldwin lost 64-41 to USC in the 6A final Saturday at Petersen Events Center. The boys had an early lead midway through the first quarter, but USC took a 20-13 lead after the first quarter.

Baldwin closed the gap to 20-18 early in the second quarter. After that, though, USC took control and held the lead throughout the game.

Junior Matthew Schenk gave credit to Upper Saint Clair.

“USC has a great defense because of their 6’9” shot blocker,” Schenk said. 

But the Highlanders could have done more, he said.

“We were not prepared to play our hearts out,” Schenk said. “We should’ve done more.”

Sophomore Max Marzina said the championship loss was painful.

“It hurts, since we worked all year to get there and we couldn’t pull through. But we have to keep looking forward to states,” Marzina said. 

Despite the disappointment of falling short of the title, junior Caden Cherico said the team will use the experience to get better.

“Saturday was definitely motivating for states, and also next season,” he said.

Baldwin’s student section came out in force for the game. Senior Nate Richards said the fans gave him more confidence for the game.

“Seeing all the people who came out to support us was great,” he said. 

The student section has been outstanding, Cherico said

“I was not surprised because the students have been great all year and especially in the playoffs,” Cherico said.

As for playing at Petersen Events Center, Cherico said it was impressive.

“The atmosphere and all the people there were definitely amazing to see,” he said.

In the first round of the state playoffs, Baldwin will face McDowell, a school from Erie, at 1 p.m. Saturday at home. Marzina said the home game will help because Baldwin will get to play in a familiar environment. 

Richards thinks the Highlanders can bounce back from the WPIAL loss.

“Losing Saturday hurt because we were so close to rewriting history,” he said. “This Saturday hopefully is a new start to a big run.”

View Comments (1)