Precision Body

Rexrode named all around champion; gymnastics takes third at states

Junior+Abby+Rexrode+won+her+second+PIAA+Diamond+division+All-Around+title.+
Rachael Bonneau
Junior Abby Rexrode won her second PIAA Diamond division All-Around title.

Junior Abby Rexrode won her second individual gymnastics state championship title and the Highlanders placed third overall at states on Saturday. 

Rexrode placed first on bars, fourth on vault, second on beam, and second on floor, earning her the spot as this year’s overall champion. She won states in her freshman year as well, but not last year.

“It was nice to be able to come back from freshman year and win it again,” she said. “It feels good to accomplish this again.”

Rexrode has also won gymnastics WPIALs for the last three years, one of only four students to ever do so. 

As a team, the Highlanders placed third overall and earned one of their highest scores: 145 out of 160 possible points. 

“We all made our routines, and I am happy with how we performed,” Rexrode said.

Alongside Rexrode in the Diamond division, sophomore Sophia Rossa placed sixth on beam, and junior Annabelle Herrle placed ninth on beam. 

In the Gold Division, senior Ashley Brown placed first on floor, third on beam, fourth on vault, and third all around. Senior Katie O’Neill placed ninth on beam. Freshman Gabby Shipley placed first on beam and sixth on bars.

In the Silver Division, freshman Charlotte Fauls placed eighth on bars. Sophomore Ella Scurry placed third on bars and sixth all around. Sophomore Vivien Skalos placed ninth on bars.

In the Bronze division, Carly Dowhy placed sixth on floor. 

This was the last competition of the gymnastics season for the Highlanders. 

“We’re going to miss this year’s seniors a lot,” Rexrode said. “But I know if we work hard over the summer, we will have a good season next year, too.”