Veronica Sikora

McKenna’s new record will get listeners thinking of summer

The poppy nature of the album and focuses more on melancholy and chill tones. Photo via Columbia Records.

As everyone looks forward to warm weather, Declan McKenna has released a new album, What Happened to the Beach?, a collection of indie, poppy, and fun anthems for the fast approaching spring and summer seasons.

With the indie genre being on the rise lately, McKenna feeds into the hype with this new album. Many of his previous releases have been of the same genre, but have not gained popularity until the past two years thanks to the major outlet that TikTok provides musicians.

One of the standout songs on the album is “Elevator Hum.” With a strong use of ukulele, synthesizer and other catchy sounding instrumentals, the song has a summery vibe to it that is perfect for the sunny weather.

The album also features some more mellow tones with the song “It’s an Act.” This song includes the use of bass guitar, acoustic guitar, piano, and even trumpet. Accompanied by sweet-sounding vocals, the track steps away from the poppy nature of the album and focuses more on melancholy and chill tones.

Overall, the album both revives the indie genre with its fun instrumentals and vocals, and it gets listeners in the mood for the summer season that’s just around the corner.