Pleasant Hills Plumbing

Girls basketball falls to Bethel Park

The Baldwin Fighting Highlander basketball teams play in the 6A division.
Sara Scheeser

The girls basketball team lost to Bethel Park 49-36 on Tuesday in their final home section game of the season.

Sophomore Isabella Niles said the Highlanders played better than they did in the previous game against Bethel.

“It was a way closer game, and it was back and forth leads,” Niles said. “We were in the lead for most of the game last night.”

Sophomore Laci Bernotas agreed.

“It was a good way to end the season at home because we played very aggressively and hard even though we lost,” Bernotas said.

Junior Mary Vargo and freshman Kelsey Meyer played particularly well for the team, Niles said.

“They both scored when we needed the points,” she said.

Bernotas credited senior Katie Lucarelli for scoring points and playing a good defensive game, as well. 

As it was the home last section game of this year, Niles wishes the team had a better outcome. But she thinks next year’s returning players will move forward.

“I definitely think it could have been better. But as a team, we definitely grew in ways that were very obvious,” Niles said. “There were games that we definitely should’ve and could’ve won, but next year I think we will take everything we learned from this year and use it.”