Detailing

“Free Bird” soars at Baldwin Idol

The performers gather on stage as the winner of the event is announced.

The Baldwin High School hosted the 28th annual Baldwin Idol event on Friday, the school’s version of the popular show American Idol. Each performer picks a charity of their choice, and all proceeds from the event go to the winner’s chosen charity. 

Fifteen acts performed at the event, and this year’s winner was senior Nathan Davis. He performed a rendition of “Free Bird” by Lynyrd Skynyrd that had the audience rooting for him and waving phone flashlights. 

“It was cool. I saw my family, I saw the flashlights, and it made me feel happy,” Davis said. 

Davis chose a charity that was close to his heart. 

I like that all of the donations go towards a good cause. We’re not just singing for ourselves – we’re singing for something bigger that’s going to make an impact on our world”

— senior Julianna Lang

“I chose the Miracle League of the South Hills because it teaches kids with special needs to play baseball and have a good time,” Davis said. 

Davis not only participates as an athlete for Miracle League, he also has a job at the organization.

“I play baseball and hang out with friends,” he said. “Also, I work as a cashier there.”

Davis’ winning performance raised over $4,000 for the charity. 

“I feel excited (and) shocked. It will help a lot of people,” Davis said. 

Senior Julianna Lang congratulated her peer. 

“Nathan’s performance was amazing. He has so much talent and energy and passion and it really showed,” Lang said. “He deserved that win. I’m proud of him.”

Lang likes the set-up and the meaning behind the event.

“I like that all of the donations go towards a good cause. We’re not just singing for ourselves – we’re singing for something bigger that’s going to make an impact on our world,” she said. 

This was Lang’s first time performing at Baldwin Idol. She sang “Gravity” by Sara Bareilles. 

“When I practiced my song it was always by myself in the car, so when I performed I pretended I was in the car again. It made me a little less nervous,” Lang said. 

This year’s judges were chorus teacher Kris Tranter, Baldwin grad Elaina DePetro, and history teacher Brad Schulte. 

“I liked watching all of the judges’ responses. They gave really good feedback,” Lang said.

Schulte has been a judge for the event for the past four years. He said he thought senior Olivia Garofalo, sophomore Kelly Campion, and Lang were the top performers this year, but that all who chose to sing had courage. 

“I like watching the talent that we have here at BHS,” Schulte said. 

Overall, the event was successful for another year. 

“I had a great time. The students who performed in and organized the event were top notch, and Mr. Tranter deserves high praise for the organization,” Schulte said. 

Lang agreed. 

“Everyone seemed to be having lots of fun and everyone got lots of applause,” she said.