Precision Body

Gymnastics beats NA, TJ on senior rec night

The Baldwin gymnastics team huddles before the start of the meet.

The Baldwin gymnastics team beat North Allegheny and Thomas Jefferson on Friday. Baldwin had a score of 142.8, North Allegheny got a 135, and TJ ended with a score of 122.

Sophomore Vivien Skalos thought the meet was successful for Baldwin.

“I think everything went well for us, but (our) floor (routines) were definitely the best,” Skalos said. “I think NA was strongest at vault.”

Skalos said freshman Gabby Shipley and junior Abby Rexrode competed particularly well, with Rexrode earning a 9.55 on her floor routine.

Senior Katie O’Neill saluted senior Ashley Brown on her performance.

“She got the highest vault and bar score of her gymnastics career, which was a 9.4 and an 8.6,” O’Neill said. “She was super clean and focused on staying tight during her routines.”

Friday was senior night for O’Neill and Brown.

“Ashley and Katie are the best teammates you could have,” Skalos said. “They both have made this team better and have helped everyone become better gymnasts, and they will always cheer you on.”

O’Neill said the meet was bittersweet for her.

“Senior night was so much fun, but it almost didn’t feel real that Ashley and I were the seniors. I’m going to miss the coaches and the bonds that I’ve built with the team so much,” she said.

The team also celebrated Thomas Jefferson senior Addie Arndt, as TJ and Baldwin often compete alongside each other.

“I’ve competed with Addie ever since we were little through Premier,” O’Neill said. “Being able to get to know the TJ girls over the years is great, because I’m able to make friends that I never would have if it weren’t for gymnastics.”

Skalos agreed that the bonds formed among the teams are impactful.

“My (favorite part of the meet) is getting to cheer on all my teammates,” Skalos said.

O’Neill agreed.

“That was an important meet for sections, so seeing everyone (do well) was such an amazing thing,” she said.

However, there is still room for improvement, according to O’Neill.

“We still meet to improve on the small things that will help bump up our scores individually as well as our score as a team,” she said.

The team’s next meet is Friday against Pine Richland and Fox Chapel.

“I’m looking forward to it because I think that we can beat both teams, as long as we keep doing what we have been doing,” Skalos said.

The meet is also the last home meet of the season.

“I’m really excited to just take it all in and have fun with my team while we’re fighting for the section title, hopefully making it three years in a row,” O’Neill said.