Mary Margaret Isabella

Swim teams split with South Park

The Baldwin boys and girls swim teams competed at home on Monday.

The Baldwin girls and boys swim teams split with South Park on Monday. The girls team won 87-78, while the boys team lost 78-82 in a non-section meet. 

Senior Gabi Moder thought that Baldwin did well overall, citing senior Alayna Kercher and junior Nathaniel “Bear” McWilliams in particular. 

“Alayna came in first in the 200 free, and Bear also did well in his 200 free,” Moder said. 

McWilliams agreed about the teams’ performance. 

“Our team has progressed a lot from the beginning of the season, but we still need to work on our starts,” McWilliams said. 

Moder credited South Park’s efforts during the meet. 

“South Park had some stronger swimmers, but a lot of them did off events,” senior Gabi Moder said, noting that this played to Baldwin’s advantage and gave Baldwin more points. 

Moder thought that she personally swam well. 

“I came first in the 100 backstroke, and I dropped four seconds off of my time,” she said. 

The swim teams’ next meet is Thursday at home against Penn Hills. The meet will be Baldwin’s senior recognition. 

“I’m excited for all of the senior rec celebrations, plus we get to pick our events for senior night,” Moder said. “I’m excited to do events that we want to do.”