J.A.J.

Wrestling team finishes top 10 in countywide meet

Ethan Stock
The Baldwin boys wrestling team competes in the 3A division.

The wrestling team finished ninth at the Allegheny County tournament at Fox Chapel over the weekend.

Junior Ramil Islamov said that the team performed well despite injuries.

“We did well as a team, even though a lot of our guys couldn’t wrestle or were hurt. We did well with a limited number of guys,” Islamov said.

The team is within reach of being first in the section. A win against Bethel Park on Wednesday would secure that spot.

For his part, Islamov made it to the finals in his bracket. His solid performance helped to bolster the team’s overall finish.

“We pinned a lot of their guys, which put us up big,” Islamov said. “It’s not an easy tournament, so we did well.”

Other stars shined as well.

“Keith Mincin wrestled really tough. In the semis he had an upset win against the third-ranked kid in the WPIAL before dropping a close match to the first-ranked kid,” Islamov said. “(Andrew) Sharp was really explosive and strong, and he got a lot of pins.”

Islamov has a good feeling about the season moving forward.

“We’re solid, but the guys just need to keep locking in,” Islamov said. “We have a good shot at competing in the postseason.”