SH Dance Academy

Schenk stands tall for basketball team

Dom Brown
Schenk became a varsity starter at center last season because of his skills.

Junior Matt Schenk was convinced that with his height and family background, basketball was the sport for him. 

By the time Schenk was in second grade, he was tall for his class. People were already telling him he should play basketball. 

“It was an immediate ‘yes’ to playing because it seemed like an intense, fast-paced sport,” Schenk said. “People would tell me to play constantly.”

Schenk also was set on playing the sport because of motivation from his parents, specifically his mother, who had played basketball. 

“A role model to me is my mom. She was a very good player when she was in high school, so she has pushed me to be my best,” Schenk said. 

Schenk was named one of the three captains for the Baldwin basketball team this year. 

“It shows me that they want me there as a leader,” Schenk said.

His teammates said Schenk brings a lot to the team.

“Matt is a good teammate to have because he brings a lot of funny energy to the team and he is a good leader,” junior Nate Wesling said. “He is good at scoring when it is needed.”

Junior Caden Cherico said also complimented Schenk.

“Matt is a great player to be around,” Cherico said. “He is always helping me with playmaking during practices and games.” 

“Schenk is a great rebounder, and he can control the post well,” Wesling said.

For this season Schenk has many goals for the team. 

“I’m looking forward to winning the section and having a positive chance to compete for the WPIAL championship,” Schenk said. 

The Highlanders are now 10-3 with a section record of 3-1.

“The best game we played was against Alderdice. They were a very strong and physical team and we worked really hard to get that win,” Schenk said.

Another highlight was the game against Kiski Area.

“I did a good job all around, having 16 points and 11 rebounds, as well as shooting six for six from the free throw line,” Schenk said. 

Playing on varsity also gave Schenk one of the most memorable games in his basketball career. 

“The Central Catholic playoff game last year was amazing to be a part of. Although we didn’t win, it was cool to have an effect on the game,” he said, referring to how he was able to handle Central’s center. 

Schenk also has future goals in basketball. He hopes to get an opportunity to play at the next level.

“If I could play in college I would. But it all comes down to the next two seasons and how I can affect the game,” Schenk said.