J.A.J.

Valorant esports team falls in playoff quarterfinals

Photo via Riot Games
Valorant is a first person shooter, that was released in 2020.

The Valorant esports team lost in a quarterfinals playoff match against Susquehanna on Tuesday, falling in the two matches by scores of 6-13 and 11-13.

The contest marked the end of a deep postseason run for the team, but the loss was still disappointing for the players.

“We never made an exact game plan beforehand,” senior Alex Kearney said. “I think doing so might have increased our chances of winning.”

Junior Joey Maiers saw communication as a weakness.

“We’re good with our plays, but sometimes communication is not the best,” Maiers said. “Next time, we need to talk more about what we’re doing before we commit to doing it.”

The Baldwin team had strengths, but they were not sufficient to hold off Susquehanna.

“Our main strength has been ability usage,” Kearney said. “But unfortunately, the other team was just more together.”

With several seniors getting ready to depart, Maiers hopes that next year’s squad is more diverse and bolstered with new recruits.

“I hope that some of the middle schoolers who are entering high school want to join,” Maiers said. 

Nonetheless, Kearney considers the season to be a massive success.

“It always feels good to have something you can bring to make the school more reputable,” Kearney said.