Gormley

Boys basketball defeats Norwin

The Baldwin Fighting Highlander basketball teams play in the 6A division.
Sara Scheeser

The boys basketball team defeated Norwin 74-53 on Tuesday. 

The game started out strong, with freshman Evan Golvash dominating in the first quarter. 

“Evan Golvash came into the game early and put up nine points in the first quarter,” junior Jaden Duttine said. 

The Highlanders took over the game during the third quarter by consistently making their shots. 

“When we started making our threes, it put us up in the third quarter. We had four threes in a row,” Duttine said. 

Even though Baldwin was leading the game, Norwin still put up good competition. 

“The biggest challenge during the game was being able to make shots from the outside. They were packed on the end and inside so we had to shoot more three-pointers,” Duttine said. 

This win meant a lot for the team. 

“This win was very important. We need to win every section game we can to be section champions,” Duttine said. 

Baldwin has a 2-1 section record.

A leak in the main gym roof caused the game to be moved over to the small gym midway through, it did not affect the team’s confidence. 

“The leak didn’t affect how we played. I think it would have been the same outcome either way,” Duttine said.

The Highlanders play again at home against Hempfield on Friday.