Diamond in the Ruff

Boys hoops loses to Seneca Valley

The Baldwin Fighting Highlander basketball teams play in the 6A division.
Sara Scheeser

The Baldwin boys basketball team fell 54-43 to Seneca Valley on Tuesday.

The Highlanders had some key players who were not in full health to start the game. 

“We struggled to have other people step up since Nate Wesling and Nate Richards were sick. It just didn’t happen and we had trouble scoring,” junior Matthew Schenk said.

The team also struggled to start the game with good energy, Schenk added. Seneca Valley started the game much stronger than Baldwin.

“The other team out-hustled us,” junior Caden Cherico said. “They ran a very patient and smooth offense that was difficult to guard.”

Despite the loss, some Baldwin players stood out during the game.

“Caden Cherico kept us relatively close by hitting two threes in the first half,” Schenk said.

Schenk felt fairly positive about his performance.

“I feel like I played with more energy than usual and I was aggressive,” Schenk said. “Getting into foul trouble slowed me down, but I believe I played a decent game.”

The Highlanders look to make some improvements for their next game on Thursday against Brashear.

“The goal is to forget this game and show up ready to play in the next one. We need to play with maximum energy and get a win,” Cherico said.