k hutch

Ice hockey falls in shootout to Seneca Valley

The+Baldwin+varsity+ice+hockey+team+plays+in+the+3A+division.+
Ethan Spozarski
The Baldwin varsity ice hockey team plays in the 3A division.

The Baldwin ice hockey team lost 3-2 in a shootout against Seneca Valley on Monday.

The Highlanders started strong with a goal from sophomore Mack Dempsey. Then after some battle and a fight back from Seneca, senior captain Tanner Plinta scored a shorthanded goal. 

At the end of the third period, the score was tied 2-2, going into the shootout. The Highlanders ultimately fell in five rounds.

Junior Trevor Brain said the Highlanders’ defense kept them competitive all game.

“We played well defensively,” Brain said. “We didn’t allow them to get second-shot opportunities.”

Senior Aidan Gannon thought the team handled the shootout well.

“The shootout was tense because the game can be decided by one shot,” Gannon said. “I think we were able to keep it together and locked in throughout it.”

Brain said the Highlanders left too many opportunities for goals on the ice.

“We need to get better at converting on our scoring opportunities,” he said.

He said junior goalie Austin Landoski was big in all parts of the game, including the shootout.

“Austin Landoski kept us in the whole game. He’s the reason we were able to go to a shootout,” he said.