JRMVideoProduction

Shadyside defeats Baldwin girls basketball

The Baldwin Fighting Highlander basketball teams play in the 6A division.
Sara Scheeser

The Baldwin girls basketball team lost to Shadyside Academy on Saturday, 51-60. 

Despite the loss, senior Katie Lucarelli said that the game had some high points. Lucarelli said junior Mary Vargo played well.

“She guarded their best player and had a high motor the entire game,” Lucarelli said. 

Lucarelli was the top scorer for Baldwin, with 23 points. 

She said the team knows the skills they have to refine for upcoming games.

“We have to improve on maintaining our focus throughout the whole game and not getting mentally sped up when the other team goes on a run,” Lucarelli said. 

She said that the team’s season is going well so far because of their team chemistry on and off the court. 

“A favorite memory from this year of mine so far is getting ready in the locker room before our first game,” Lucarelli said. “The energy was so high and the room was filled with excitement.”

Lucarelli has aspects of the game that she wants to focus on for the rest of the season. 

“Some personal goals are playing free-minded and letting the game come to me,” she said. “Some team goals would be playing with high intensity and getting the job done, but also having fun while playing.”

Looking towards the future, Lucarelli said that freshman Lynsey Bernotas could be a standout player for the Highlanders. 

“(She) will definitely provide a lot of value for the team in the coming years,” Lucarelli said. 

The girls’ next game is Thursday night against Upper Saint Clair. Lucarelli is looking forward to it. 

“In previous years we always struggled playing with them, but this year we have a big opportunity to compete with them,” she said.