Flowers by Terry

Hovland emerging as next big star in golf

Viktor Hovland, born in 1997, is a professional golfer from Norway. Viktor Hovland via Wikimedia Commons

Golf fans have seen some major victories from golfers like Tiger Woods, Scottie Schefler and Jordan Spieth. Young golfer Viktor Hovland now may be establishing himself as one of the best in the nation.

Hovland, 26, is making his mark in golf. His most recent win was with the European side of the Ryder Cup.

Hovland beat American golfer Collin Morikawa 4-3 in singles in the Ryder Cup.  Hovland and  Ludvig Åberg also beat the favorite American team of Scheffler and Brooks Koepka, 9-7 during foursomes. 

Hovland had some amazing chips during the Cup, some leaving him just short of the hole, while others were hit right in.

Hovland is from Norway and has been playing since age 11 after his dad had introduced it to him. He soon became quite good and won the Norweign Amature Golf Championship at 16.

He moved on to college at Oklahoma State University for golf where he developed his skills. In 2018, he became the first golfer from Norway to win the U.S. Amateur.

Hovland turned pro in 2019 after the 2019 Travelers Championship and then golfed in the U.S Open.

Golf fans now know that one of Hovland’s specialties is being able to chip it straight into the hole from the bunker or from the green. He’s very good at getting sand saves and staying under par even when he runs into challenges like that.

Hovland has a long career of golf in front of him, and he will have many more chances to make memories. He looks as though he is on a great road to success, and fans will be looking for him at the 2024 Masters.