Advanced Exterior Cleaning

Students vote on theme for main gym

The+Baldwin+High+School+main+gym+will+receive+a+theme+picked+by+the+students.+
Rachael Bonneau
The Baldwin High School main gym will receive a theme picked by the students.

Assistant Principal Denise Wells hopes to increase school spirit and pride by having students vote on a theme for the main gym. 

“It is the students’ gym,” Wells said. “If we can give them a say in the identity, they will want to participate more.”

Athletic Director Anthony Cherico said he is excited about the plan. 

“We want people to be proud of our school, where we go, and our facilities,” he said. “Hopefully, this is a step towards that.”

Baldwin’s boys and girls volleyball and basketball teams as well as the unified bocce team hold their games in the gym. 

Fine and Practical Arts teacher James Wodarek’s graphic design classes are working on creating banners for the school hallways, and he plans to let the students submit design proposals for a banner with the new gym theme. 

Wells put together a list of 11 potential themes for the gym, and students have voted during homeroom. The choices were: Purple Reign Arena, Braveheart Arena, The Purple Pit, Highlander Sports Arena, Highlander Pride Pavilion, Purple Pride Arena, The Baldwin Battle Zone, Victory Hall, Purple Thunder Arena, Highlander Zone, and The Home of the Highlanders.

Wells put together the list by collecting suggestions from administrators, the basketball teams, Wodarek’s graphic design classes, and even her youngest son.

Wells and Cherico plan to announce the winning theme within the next couple of weeks.

“We want to try to have the banners ready by the girls and boys basketball season,” Wells said.