Precision Body

Opinion: Dynamic college football season could get even better

The 2023 college football season has provided fans with predictable and unpredictable outcomes so far. Photo via Wikimedia Commons Courtesy of NCAA

The 2023-24 college football season has been the opposite of a disappointment. This season has been full of electric, high-energy thrillers.  

There have already been intense rivalry games like Texas and Oklahoma, where Oklahoma won on a game-winning touchdown with 15 seconds left.  

Some other rivalries that have yet to be played are Oregon vs. USC and arguably the most important game in college football, Ohio State vs. Michigan. 

One recurring topic over the past couple years has been the dominance of SEC powerhouse Georgia Bulldogs. The Bulldogs have not lost a game since the SEC Championship in 2021 against the Alabama Crimson Tide. 

Although Tennessee still looks like a tough team, the Volunteers have drastically underperformed this year despite all of the preseason hype.

Although the Bulldogs have seemed nearly unstoppable, there is a world where they could get into hot water throughout the season. They still have to play No. 14 Missouri,  No. 11 Ole Miss, and No. 19 Tennessee.  

Although Tennessee still looks like a tough team, the Volunteers have drastically underperformed this year despite all of the preseason hype.  They have all the skill to compete with a star quarterback in Joe Milton, but all around they have just been a disappointment.  

On the contrary, one team that has been very surprising to many has been the Washington Huskies out of the Pac-12. Their success has been caused by the standout season their quarterback, Michael Penix Jr., is having.  He is currently one of the frontrunners for the Heisman trophy, and if Washington continues to win the way they have and he plays the way he does, he is well on his way to that award. 

Another one of the Heisman front-runners is Michigan’s quarterback, JJ McCarthy.  He has led the Wolverines to an undefeated season so far. Although they have looked very good this season, Michigan has never been able to perform in the College Football Playoff. This year could be a rerun of the past two, where they have had zero or one losses in the regular season, then go into the playoffs and under perform and get beat. 

The playoff is shaping up to look like Georgia, Ohio State, Florida State, and Washington –  although a lot can change in the span of the next month.