GiannaVias

Too many penalties are changing NFL outcomes

Roughing the passer and pass interference are impossible for defenses to avoid anymore
Photo Via Wikamedia Commons Under Creative Commons License

Many would agree that penalty flags in the NFL are getting annoying and changing the outcome of some games this year. 

In Week 6, the 49ers played the Browns and a total of 13 flags were thrown. This game was very tight, with the Browns pulling off a 19-17 upset win. 

During the Browns’ final drive, the 49ers’ defense was flagged twice – once for a pass interference call and then for roughing the passer. 

This allowed the Browns to make it into field goal range and ultimately win the game. 

Flags like roughing the passer and pass interference are practically impossible for defenses to avoid anymore. Defensive backs have to be careful now, since even a little contact with a receiver’s arms will earn a flag. 

For defensive linemen, their whole job is to sack the quarterback. This is something they now have to try to do with unnecessary caution, just so their team doesn’t get penalized. 

Some games now have one or two flags every single drive. For fans, it is frustrating to see their teams play hard and make big-time plays – just to have them called back for penalties. 

Certainly, some penalties are necessary to keep players safe and the game fair. Flags like unnecessary roughness and blocks in the back keep players from getting blindsided, and those should be strictly enforced. 

But overall, the league needs to re-evaluate how often some flags should be thrown.