Luminous

Major League Soccer looks to boost popularity with new playoff format

Major+League+Soccer+is+gaining+popularity+sporting+a+new+format+for+playoffs.+
Photo via Wikimedia Commons
Major League Soccer is gaining popularity sporting a new format for playoffs.

While football and basketball have long dominated the American sports scene, soccer has been steadily gaining popularity. 

Major League Soccer is relatively young, at just over 30 years old. Often seen by international fans as a minor league, where players spend a few seasons before retiring, it often has been disregarded. 

However, things are taking a turn, as the quality of the league is improving season after season, and people are starting to take notice. 

This is an ideal time for the league to grow, as the United States is set to host the 2024 Copa America and the 2026 FIFA World Cup. Many of America’s first-choice national team players also play in the MLS league, so as the games get more competitive, there is hope that this will give the national squad a competitive edge and ensure they perform well representing America. 

For a long time, the popularity of professional soccer has been minimal in America, with interests only peaking during significant events. 

But the arrival of soccer star Lionel Messi at MLS team Inter Miami CF in late July has ignited more interest. His signing has led to all-time high ticket prices, a rise in merchandise sales, and a surge in viewership.

The 2023 MLS season kicked off with a bang in August, with the league welcoming a record 380,000 fans on opening weekend. 

The MLS came in with big changes this year. With players from 81 different countries, it is currently the most diverse soccer league in the world. 

The league is also boosting some format changes. With 29 teams playing in the East and West conferences, teams must finish top nine in their conference to make the playoffs, which is a  slightly expanded field from previous years. The top seven from both conferences go straight through to the round of 16, but the eighth and ninth-place finishers have to battle for the wild card entry. 

The round of 16 will feature a new playoff format: a best-of-three series rather than just a single playoff game.

Once the top eight teams remain, the league will then return to its usual normal single-elimination games. 

With decision day for the playoffs creeping up this Saturday, the league is winding down.

FC Cincinnati, which currently leads the race for the Supporters’ Shield, an annual award given to the team with the best season record, is at the top of the list for prospective champions. 

Cincy is followed closely by Orlando City and last year’s runners-up Philadelphia Union in the Eastern Conference. 

Last year’s defending champions, Los Angeles FC, also appear near the top of the likely winners, trailing St. Louis City, the current Western Conference leaders.